When connected to an Apple TV, the default setting is to mirror your current display. Extending your display allows a second display to show something different from what your computer’s screen shows. This is different from mirroring your displays, which shows an exact copy of your computer’s screen. This guide will show you how to change your display settings while connected to an Apple TV.
- Make sure both the Mac you are working on and the Apple TV(s) are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- On your Mac, go to the Apple menu.
- Select System Settings/System Preferences
- Select Display
- Depending on which version of MacOS you are using, you should now be staring at this menu below:
- Next you will click the drop down next to the plus and you should see the names of your Apple TVs. Select one of the devices.
When you first select it, chances are high that it will be mirroring your display. In order to change that, you will need to select your Apple TV. Then click disconnect.
- You will need to repeat step 4.
- Now when selecting your device, you should be able to go to “Use As” and change it from Mirror for Built-in Display to Extended display.
- If that does not work, go to your menu bar and look for the screen mirroring icon
- Click on that icon and you should have a drop down menu appear. In this menu, You can select “Use As Separate Display” instead of mirroring it to extend your display.