An Alternating layout option has been added to the Class Setup Wizard in the Schedule section. This option creates a class Lesson Plan where the class days alternate between teacher-led activity days and student independent days.
This layout option groups teacher-led activities and student independent activities on alternating days as best as possible with regards to the flow of curriculum.
Teacher-led activities such as Instructions and Coding Technique Demo’s are grouped together on a day
Student independent activities such as Coding Technique Practices and Code Writing exercises are grouped together on a day.
Reviews for all student independent activities are put on the following day for the teacher to review with students.
Manually customize the Lesson Plan after the initial schedule is generated to align teacher-led instruction days to when you meet with students synchronously.
NOTE: The Alternating layout option is to support select schedules as a result of remote or blended learning. In most cases, the Standard layout option will be what teachers use.
How to use
- In the Schedule section of the Class Setup Wizard select the Alternating option.
- NOTE: Selecting the Standard option takes you through the normal class setup process where you can enter the day and times that you meet with students.
- With the Alternating schedule option you want to use the calendar tools to adjust where activities are on your calendar. Typically trying to get the teacher-led days on the days that you meet with students. The calendar tools you have available are:
- Adding and Removing empty days
- Moving activities around by drag and dropping
- Plan 1 week at a time, and at most 2 weeks in advance. There is variability in how much can be done per day. So making adjustments at the end of the day to adjust where the class is at is the best approach.
Sample Skylark Calendar
- Teacher-led instruction is grouped together to enable students to work independently on the other activities in the week.
- The following teacher-led instruction day has Reviews for the teacher to review the student independent activities. Also has the next Coding Technique Demo that enables students to work on the next group of student independent activities.
Sample Python Calendar
- Teacher-led instruction is grouped together to enable students to work independently the following day.
- The day following student independent work has Reviews for the teacher to review the work done by students independently.
- The curriculum alternates between teacher-led days and student independent days as much as possible, but to retain the curriculum flow it does not alternate perfectly.
- Student independent days can still be taught on days that the teacher meets with students if desired.